1. Sexton JB, Helmreich RL. Analyzing cockpit communications: the links between language, performance, error, and workload. Human Performance in Extreme Environments 2000; 5:63–8.
2. Sexton JB, Thomas EJ, Helmreich RL. Error, stress, and teamwork in medicine and aviation: cross sectional surveys. BMJ 2000; 320:745–9. 3. Wallenius C. Military observers’ reactions and performance when facing danger. Mil Psychol 2004; 16:211.
3. Wallenius C. Military observers’ reactions and performance when facing danger. Mil Psychol 2004; 16:211.
4. Hammermeister J, Burton D. Stress, appraisal, and coping revisited: examining the antecedents of competitive state anxiety with endurance athletes. Sport Psychol 2001; 15:66–90.
5. Helmreich RL, Wilhelm JA, Klinect JR, et al. Culture, error, and crew resource management. In: Salas E, Bowers CA, eds. Improving Teamwork in Organizations: Applications of Resource Management Training. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates; 2001:305–31.
6. Driskell JE, Salas E. overcoming the effects of stress on military performance: human factors, training, and selection strategies. In: Gal R, Mangelsdorff A, eds. Handbook of Military Psychology. Oxford: John Wiley & Sons; 1991:183–93.
7. Crocker PR, Alderman RB, Smith FM. Cognitiveaffective stress management training with high performance youth volleyball players: effects on affect, cognition, and performance. J Sport Exercise Psychol 1988; 10:448–60.
8. Darzi A, Mackay S. Assessment of surgical competence. Qual Health Care 2001; 10(2):ii64– 9.
9. Hall JC, Ellis C, Hamdorf J. Surgeons and cognitive processes. Br J Surg 2003; 90:10–6.
10. de Quervain DJ, Roozendaal B, Nitsch RM, et al. Acute cortisone administration impairs retrieval of long-term declarative memory in humans. Nat Neurosci 2000; 3:313–4.
11. Kirschbaum C, Wolf OT, May M, et al. Stress- andtreatment-induced elevations of cortisol levels associated with impaired declarative memory in healthy adults. Life Sci 1996; 58:1475–83.
12. Wolf OT. HPA axix and memory. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 2003; 17:287–99.
13. Dobson R. Heart surgery halted because of staff exhaustion. BMJ 2004; 328:604.
14. Ogilvie BC. Stress in the life of surgeons. Instr Course Lect 1983; 32:18–32.
15. Sargent MC, Sotile W, Sotile MO, et al. Stress and coping among orthopaedic surgery residents and faculty. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2004; 86:1579–86.
16. Veldenz HC, Scott KK, Dennis JW, et al. Impaired residents: identification and intervention. Curr Surg 2003; 60:214–7.
17. Gammon J, Mulholland CW. Effect of preparatory information prior to elective total hip replacement on post-operative physical coping outcomes. International Journal of Nursing Studies. 1996 Dec 1;33(6):589604.