1. Reaven GM. Role of insulin resistance in human disease. Diabetes. 1988; 37(12):1595-607.
2. Banerjee D, Misra A. Does using ethnic specific criteria improve the usefulness of the term metabolic syndrome? Controversies andsuggestions. Int J Obes. 2007; 31(9):1340-9.
3. Misra A, Misra R, Wijesuriya M, Banerjee D. The metabolic syndrome in South Asians: continuing escalation & possible solutions. Indian J Med Res. 2007; 125(3):345-54.
4. Ford ES. Risks for all-cause mortality, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes associated with the metabolic syndrome: a summary of the evidence. Diabetes Care. 2005; 28(7):1769-78.
5. Sundström J, Risérus U, Byberg L, Zethelius B, Lithell H, Lind L. Clinical value of the metabolic syndrome for long term prediction of total and cardiovascular mortality: prospective, population based cohort study. BMJ. 2006; 332(7546):878-82.
6. Lorenzo C, Williams K, Hunt KJ, Haffner SM. Trend in the prevalence of the metabolic syndrome and its impact on cardiovascular disease incidence: the San Antonio Heart Study. Diabetes Care. 2006; 29(3):625-30.
7. Saklayen MG. The global epidemic of the metabolic syndrome. Curr Hypertension Rep. 2018; 20(2):12.
8. Herningtyas EH, Ng TS. Prevalence and distribution of metabolic syndrome and its components among provinces and ethnic groups in Indonesia. BMC Public Health. 2019; 19(1):377.
9. Devers MC, Campbell S, Simmons D. Influence of age on the prevalence and components of the metabolic syndrome and the association with cardiovascular disease. BMJ Open Diabetes Res Care. 2016;4(1):e000195.
10. Gurka MJ, Ice CL, Sun SS, Deboer MD. A confirmatory factor analysis of the metabolic syndrome in adolescents: an examination of sex and racial/ethnic differences. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2012; 11:128.
11. Delavari A, Forouzanfar MH, Alikhani S, Sharifian A, Kelishadi R. First nationwide study of the prevalence of the metabolic syndrome and optimal cutoff points of waist circumference in the Middle East: the national survey of risk factors for noncommunicable diseases of Iran. Diabetes Care. 2009; 32(6):1092-7.
12. Zabetian A, Hadaegh F, Sarbakhsh P, Azizi F. Weight change and incident metabolic syndrome in Iranian men and women; a 3 year follow-up study. BMC Public Health. 2009; 9(1):138.
13. Azizi F, Salehi P, Etemadi A, Zahedi-Asl S. Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in an urban population: Tehran lipid and glucose study. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2003; 61(1):29-37.
14. Fakhrzadeh H, Ebrahimpour P, Pourebrahim R, Heshmat R, Larijani B. Metabolic syndrome and its associated risk factors in healthy adults: a population-based study in Iran. Metab Syndr Relat Disord. 2006; 4(1):28-34.
15. Esmaillzadeh A, Mirmiran P, Azadbakht L, Etemadi A, Azizi F. High prevalence of the metabolic syndrome in Iranian adolescents. Obesity. 2006; 14(3):377-82.
16. Mannucci E, Monami M, Rotella CM. How many components for the metabolic syndrome? Results of exploratory factor analysis in the FIBAR study. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2007; 17(10):719-26.
17. Choi K, Lee J, Kim K, Kim D, Kim S, Shin D, et al. Factor analysis of the metabolic syndrome among elderly Koreans--the South‐west Seoul Study. Diabet Med. 2003; 20(2):99-104.
18. Weiss R, Dziura J, Burgert TS, Tamborlane WV, Taksali SE, Yeckel CW, et al. Obesity and the metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents. New Engl J Med. 2004; 350(23):2362-74.
19. Ghayour-Mobarhan M, Moohebati M, Esmaily H, Ebrahimi M, Parizadeh SM, Heidari-Bakavoli AR, et al. Mashhad stroke and heart atherosclerotic disorder (MASHAD) study: design, baseline characteristics and 10-year cardiovascular risk estimation. Int J Public Health. 2015; 60(5):561-72.
20. Sharma S. Applied multivariate techniques. New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons, Inc; 1995.
21. Ramachandran A, Snehalatha C, Yamuna A, Murugesan N, Narayan KV. Insulin resistance and clustering of cardiometabolic risk factors in urban teenagers in southern India. Diabetes Care. 2007; 30(7):1828-33.
22. Vikram NK, Pandey RM, Misra A, Goel K, Gupta
N. Factor analysis of the metabolic syndrome components in urban Asian Indian adolescents. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2009; 18(2):293-300.
23. Oh JY, Hong YS, Sung YA, Barrett-Connor E. Prevalence and factor analysis of metabolic syndrome in an urban Korean population. Diabetes Care. 2004; 27(8):2027-32.
24. Ayoubi E, Khalili D, Del Pisheh A, Hadaegh F, Azizi F. Factor analysis of metabolic syndrome and itsrelationship with type 2 diabetes: Tehran lipid and glucose study. J Diabetes. 2013; 12(3):233-44.